NC Required Auto Insurance

The Sorgi Insurance CompanyNC Required Auto Insurance

What Insurance Is Required in North Carolina?

Liability Insurance

North Carolina was one of the first states to require liability insurance on registered motor vehicles. All motor vehicles registered in the state must be covered by liability insurance and the insurance must remain in effect, with continuous coverage, until you terminate the registration.

In order to register and title your vehicle, you will need to show proof of insurance.

  • Providing Proof of Liability Insurance
  • $25,000 of coverage for property damage

Lapses in Insurance Coverage

The law states that insurance companies must notify the Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) whenever coverage is canceled. (FS-4) Therefore, if your coverage lapses, you will receive a notice (Form FS 5-7) from the DMV and you must respond within 10 days.

If your coverage has lapsed, you will have to re-certify and pay $50 within 10 days of the date of the notice. If there was no break in coverage, simply enter the correct information on the form and return it to the DMV within 10 days.

If you fail to reply within 10 days, you can lose your license plate for 30 days. When this happens, in order to get your plates back you will have to re-license by paying a penalty fee, a processing fee, and another license plate fee.

If your insurance was terminated wrongfully, you have a right to an insurance hearing to dispute it. Call (919) 715-7000 to set up a hearing.